Are you concerned that your home is not as insulated as possible? A home with compromised insulation can leak air, increase your energy bills, and hamper the overall functionality of your heating and cooling system. One way to determine whether or not there are any chinks in your home’s armor is with a blower door test. Blower door testing helps to gauge the airtightness of your home, while also giving our technicians an opportunity to find these leaks and fix them. At 4 Seasons Heating & Cooling, we have achieved our blower door test certification, so the testing we perform in your home is of the highest quality around.
Save on your home performance testing with our coupons and specials.
What Is a Blower Door Test?
If you’ve been concerned about the airtightness of your home, then one way to determine whether or not you have air leaks is through a blower door test. In this testing process, a blower motor with a fan is installed in your door frame. A technician will then go through the home closing all exterior doors and windows.
From there, the fan will turn on and fill your home with air. The blower itself has gauges that measure the internal and external pressure. This data is used to determine how much leakage is in the home. Based on the number, and an inspection of your home, a technician will be able to determine where your home is compromised, and then perform repairs to remedy the situation.
4 Benefits of Blower Door Testing
Blower door testing has plenty of benefits that make it a good choice for homeowners. Some of these include:
- Improves Energy Efficiency: A major side effect of compromised insulation in your home is wasted energy. As your home works harder to keep cool or warm, you utilities rise. Once a trouble area is found, and repaired, you should notice a decrease in your energy costs.
- Increases Property Value: If you’re planning on selling your home, or refinancing, you want to make sure your home is appraised at top dollar. To that end, ensuring your home is perfectly sealed and insulated is a great way to achieve that goal.
- Prevents Emergencies: A blower door test is a great way to access the condition of your home. Once small repair issues are located and remedies, you can actually prevent major emergencies from ever happening.
- Eliminates Noisy HVAC Issues: If there are open spaces where there is little to no insulation, it may be the reason for a noisy HVAC system. Our technicians will find these pockets and ensure they’re insulated to decrease the noise of your air conditioner.
At 4 Seasons Heating & Cooling, we’ve done extensive training to earn our blower door test certification. Because of this, you can trust the testing we perform in your home, and the results we gather. We will also work with you to remedy any leak situations, which can help keep the air in your home perfectly controlled.
What Is Air Sealing?
Air sealing works to prevent air leakage, a common dilemma that puts extra burden on your heating and cooling system and makes it harder and more expensive to maintain comfort. The typical trouble spots include attics, interior walls, electrical outlets, and light fixtures – areas where it’s easy for warm air to escape or sneak into your home against your best interests. A smart combination of insulation and air sealing is the ideal prescription to combat the issue, boost comfort and improve home performance.
Is Your Home a Candidate for Air Sealing?
A close inspection from a trusted source is the first step to determining whether your home will benefit from air sealing. That’s where Home Performance with ENERGY STAR steps in. Simply contact a certified Trade Ally contractor. They will assess your home using special diagnostic tools and modeling software, and make recommendations specific to your needs.
Benefits of Air Sealing
Don’t let energy and money sip through the cracks. Air leakage can account for 30% or more of a home’s heating and cooling costs. It can also cause other problems such as moisture, noise, dust, and an all-access pass for pollutants. Air sealing helps by providing:
- Increased comfort and consistent temperatures
- Savings on heating and cooling costs
- Healthier indoor environment and better air quality
- A more energy-efficient home
- Cash incentives are also available for eligible home improvements
Visit our reviews page to see what some of our customers have to say about our blower door testing, or just schedule your test today!
Common Household Leaks
Air often leaks in areas of the home you wouldn't expect.
- Behind kneewalls
- Attic hatch
- Wiring Holes
- Plumbing vents
- Recessed lights
- Furnace flue or duct chaseways
- Basement rim joists
- Windows and doors
If you suspect that air could be escaping from your home, then call to schedule your air sealing and blower door testing today with the pros at 4 Seasons Heating & Cooling today.