How These HVAC Usage Tips Can Save Money
The U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) reports that HVAC systems account for at least half of all home energy costs. This means that the cost of cooling and heating a home can quickly increase, especially when the seasons change.
As the holidays draw closer and closer, many homeowners may wonder how they can save money on energy bills, allowing them to spend more on presents and decorations. Thankfully, Reno, NV residents have many money-saving options that help them save on electric bills. Some ways to reduce the electric bill include:
Installing a Programmable Thermostat
A few years ago, smart thermostats were only in high-end houses. Now, they come standard in many residences. When one installs a wifi thermostat, they get ultimate control over their home’s indoor air quality. These devices allow homeowners to:
- Remotely control their home’s temperature. One doesn’t have to be standing in front of the thermostat to adjust the temperature. With a smart thermostat, they could be miles away from home and make certain charges.
- Predict their energy bills. Programmable thermostats come with apps allowing homeowners to see how much energy they use monthly. This can allow them to make changes and lower their electric bill.
- Make schedules. Having the heater or AC on all day risks increasing their monthly energy bill. By having the HVAC system turned on and off at specific times, one can get the most out of their system and save money.
Many big-name companies produce thermostats that work alongside smart home devices, making them even easier to use. For instance, Google’s Nest thermostat pairs with Amazon’s Alexa. This allows homeowners to make changes without even getting off the couch.
Changing the Air Filter
Homeowners should maintain their HVAC systems to get the most bang for their buck. Maintenance involves changing the HVAC unit’s air filter at least once every three months.
When homeowners opt for air filter replacement, they prevent their HVAC system from working overtime to heat or cool the home. The air filter lets the AC system “breathe.” It also prevents dog hair, dust, and dander from building up in the home’s AC vents. By catching this debris, homeowners can avoid suffering from various respiratory ailments. They also reduce the likelihood of their AC system overheating.
Connecting With an HVAC Maintenance Professional
The U.S. Department of Energy notes that homeowners should schedule HVAC maintenance visits at least once a year. A professional can thoroughly evaluate one’s system and reduce any possible complications. They can also:
- Check the home’s insulation levels
- Identify mold or mildew growth
- Replace faulty components
- Change the air filter
- Seal or insulate key areas
Nobody wants their HVAC unit to stop working when they need it most. Yet, by practicing the recommendations listed above, one can prevent complications and save money on their home’s heating and cooling costs.
About 4 Seasons Heating & Cooling
Whether it’s winter, spring, summer, or fall, 4 Seasons Heating & Cooling supports homeowners in Reno, NV. These experts offer discounted services, after-hours help, and unmatched service. One can call today for more information on scheduling an HVAC maintenance appointment. They can also make an appointment online.