Fall Temps is Just Around the Corner
There is a crispness to the morning air these days that hints of pleasantly cooler weather. Even in Nevada, a state not typically considered cold has its share of chilly temperatures. This is why residents of Reno and the surrounding areas should consider getting their fall heating maintenance dealt with ASAP. Then, they can have peace of mind when it’s time to turn it on.
Why Every Homeowner Should Schedule Fall Maintenance and How it Works
Every machine or appliance occasionally needs to be cleaned and checked out. The heating, ventilation, and air conditioning system in a home is no different. An HVAC tune-up before the temperatures drop dramatically can ensure uninterrupted home comfort. Maintenance keeps a unit working at its peak, thus maintaining efficiency and low energy bills. It will also prevent an after-hours emergency call that might cost much more than a simple maintenance fee.
When a homeowner schedules a maintenance visit, the technician will come at the homeowner’s convenience and perform myriad tasks to ensure that the HVAC unit is functioning as it should. Here are a few of the things that an HVAC technician might do during an HVAC tune-up:
- Change the air filter
- Clean off unit
- Straighten fins
- Check and repair air ducts
- Clean air ducts
- Check thermostat
- Check and repair electrical connections
- Check fuel lines and connections (if applicable)
- The clean heating element or burner (if applicable)
- Clean and check vents
- Repair or replace worn-out parts
The Only HVAC DIY: Changing Air Filters
One easy way a homeowner can help with their HVAC maintenance is by regularly changing the air filter. It is recommended that an air filter be changed every 3 months to maintain the most efficiency and the best indoor air quality. Many different types of filters can be used with a home HVAC system, so a homeowner should verify that they are getting the right type for their system. Suppose they are looking for something that will more thoroughly clean the air of allergens. In that case, a homeowner should consider talking to a reputable HVAC contractor about the possibility of an air scrubber or HEPA filter for their system.
Tips for Conserving and Checking Energy Usage
Another year-round idea to help homeowners in their quest to save money and be comfortable in their homes is managing their energy usage. This not only saves money in the long run but can also make it easier to determine a problem brewing with the HVAC system. Below are a few ideas that can help save money and make monitoring energy consumption easier:
- Install Weather Stripping: Weather stripping is a flexible tape that can be affixed around windows and door frames as insulation. It helps fortify the weakest points of the home’s energy loss prevention.
- Invest in a Smart Thermostat: These particular devices are increasing in popularity for their convenience and ease. These little gadgets connect to an app on a smartphone and often enable features like self-programming, geo-fencing, and schedule recognition.
- Look for Spikes in Usage: A sudden increase in energy usage may mean a problem with a home’s HVAC unit. A homeowner should consult an HVAC professional if they notice an inexplicably high bill.
About 4 Seasons Heating & Cooling
For over a decade, 4 Seasons Heating & Cooling has served the families of Reno, NV and the surrounding areas. Every new install comes with 2 years of maintenance-free! Call today for an appointment with one of their trustworthy technicians and get HVAC service!
Distribution Links +